sound problems with latest updates in f8test

stan eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net
Sat Aug 18 17:23:55 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have an application that opens the sound card.  With the latest
updates it will still open it as default device but can no longer open
it as plughw:0,0.  The error I get is
cannot open audio device "plughw:0,0" (Device or resource busy)

When I run powertop, I see that the driver has a lot of interrupts even
though there is no sound running.
Top causes for wakeups:
  43.9% (100.6)       <interrupt> : ohci_hcd:usb2, eth0
  20.5% ( 46.9)       <interrupt> : ICE1724
   9.6% ( 22.0)       <interrupt> : libata
   6.4% ( 14.6)   at-spi-registry : schedule_timeout (process_timeout)
   4.6% ( 10.5)                 X : do_setitimer (it_real_fn)
   4.4% ( 10.0)   /usr/bin/sealer : schedule_timeout (process_timeout)

Perhaps this is normal, but given the device busy error above it makes
me suspicious that there is something wrong.

Sound plays normally using audio player, but it uses the default
device.  I notice that the usage drops by about half for ICE1724 when
the sound is playing.

I'll probably do a debug of this at some point and post any findings.