esound, removal removes 478 packages !

stan eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net
Thu Aug 23 23:13:49 UTC 2007

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 15:49 -0700, stan wrote:
>
>> Will the new version of Fedora be using esound exclusively?
>>

> No, it will use PulseAudio.
>

>> What about
>> if I want fine control of the hardware?  How is that done using esound?
>>

> It's not. You use ALSA for that.

But when I try to do that, I get a message saying the device is busy.
This is because esound is using it.  And because esound is using it via
/dev/dsp, the OSS emulation layer, it has exclusive control of sound.
Will pulse audio be better?
>> Should I open a bugzilla against esound because it won't let me use alsa
>> calls to restrict the sound card to hardware supported rates, or is that
>> futile given the huge dependencies on esound?
>>

> It is possible to change the config of the OSS emulation devices using
> asoundrc.

I want to do what is possible on F7.  Call alsa and get the information
for the default device.  Then programatically build a new call string
and call alsa with that string to open a device.  Once the device is
open I want to use alsa calls to restrict the frame rate to hardware
supported rates.  Will this be possible under pulse audio?
>> Is there a fork from alsa occurring?
>>

> Uh, no.
>

>> Is OSS being revived?
>>

> What?! Now you're just talking crazy...

Glad to hear it.
I am just seeing that there are 478 packages depending on a daemon that
still is using OSS type terminology.  i.e. /dev/dsp /dev/dsp2  instead
of plughw or default or ...etc.

I'll upgrade from esound/esd to pulseaudio and try again.

Thank you for answering my questions and putting up with my ignorance
about this.