Firefox performance sucks!

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Sat Aug 25 22:42:39 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 11:58 +0100, Christopher Brown wrote:

> What have you tried in order to resolve this problem? Have you tried
> disabling pango to see if this makes a difference? Have you run in
> safe mode (with extensions/add-ons disabled) to ensure they are not
> affecting your performance?

Okay, I turned off all my plugins (not that I have many) and after
closing firefox (and being sure that it was not running in ps ax, i
restarted it

I then hit CTRL-L and typed in www.ebay.com.au   Mozilla started
before anything appeared.

While this was happening I moved the desktop that Mozilla was on,
brought VMWare to the foreground, selected Mozilla in VMWare and loaded
the same page.  In VMWare, the page appeared almost immediately and was
completely loaded within 5 seconds.

While all this was happening I saw spikes in the CPU (applet in the
panel) when firefox was visibly doing something but otherwise CPU usage
was consistent and low (less than 10%).

 It's much better on my side"