Firefox performance sucks!

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Sat Aug 25 22:57:45 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 11:58 +0100, Christopher Brown wrote:
> On 24/08/07, Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.com> wrote:
>
>         On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 20:32 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
>         > Right,
>         >
>         > For some time now, the speed with which firefox starts to
>         load pages can
>         > be aweful.  I've not been sure where the problem lay until I
>         got vmware
>         > reworking this afternoon and I'm now sure it's firefox.
>
> What have you tried in order to resolve this problem? Have you tried
> disabling pango to see if this makes a difference? Have you run in
> safe mode (with extensions/add-ons disabled) to ensure they are not
> affecting your performance?

Okay, I've discovered that the first load is consistently bad.  By this
I mean, when I start firefox, the first load that happens as part of
this.  (I also suspect that if I leave firefox for a while (subjective)
that they first load when I resume using it is also bad.

As an example, it too 2.5 minutes (yes, you read the right) to
completely load the front page of www.ebay.com.au (which I have made my
home page).

As a comparison, Mozilla in VMWare loads www.ebay.com.au consistently in
less than 5 seconds.

And it's the same for other pages.  For example, I've typed the last
three paragraphs in the time it's taken to actually change the page from
www.ebay.com.au to www.slashdot.org.  In fact, it still hasn't happened.

Ah, there it goes.  Once it starts loading the page, then it usually
loads very quickly.

So what else can I test?

R.

 It's much better on my side"