How is the X upgrade going?

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 17:16:34 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 13:43 -0700, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> I've fallen off the rawhide train in the last few weeks - wanting to
> miss the well-publicized X fun, among other things.  I'm setting up a
> new machine, though, so I thought I'd put current rawhide on it just to
> see what happened.
>
> What happens is that the system appears to boot mostly normally.  At the
> end, though, I get an all-blank screen (either black or white, seems to
> vary) with an arrow-shaped pointer and nothing else.  The pointer is
> responsive to the mouse, so there appears to be a functioning X server
> underneath it all.  But I never get the login screen.
>
> This is a Dell box with integrated Intel graphics; it works great with
> F8.
>
> Is this something I should still be expecting at this stage, or is this
> supposed to work?  If so, what other information can I provide to help
> track it down?

That's almost certainly gdm's fault, not mine.

I've been a bit behind in updating some of the more fringe drivers, as
I've been trying to get something close to code-complete for some RANDR
enhancements.  I'll likely make a pass through them this week or next,
as well as start enabling the input hotplug funhouse.

- ajax