Why are the contents of rawhide different for amd-64 than for ia-32?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Dec 21 22:27:27 UTC 2007

Andrew Farris wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> Andrew Farris wrote:

>>> Are you saying its *not* actually larger in your mirror, with almost
>>> double the
>>> number of rpms?
>>>
>> See my original post:
>>
>> 11:30 [mirror at mail ~]$ find /home/mirror/linux/fedora/rawhide/x86_64/os/
>> -type f -name \*.rpm | wc -l
>> 5918
>> 11:30 [mirror at mail ~]$ find /home/mirror/linux/fedora/rawhide/i386/os
>> -type f -name \*.rpm | wc -l
>> 9026
>> 11:30 [mirror at mail ~]$
>
> Yeah I saw that, it shows there are more packages.  It just wasn't clear you
> meant 'size' as in number of packages when saying something looked wrong because
> it was larger, so nevermind its all probably how it should be.

The measure I was using was the measure I showed you:-)

Without looking, I would expect 64-bit packages to be bigger, in bytes,
than 32-bit ones because I would expect new, longer address modes to
cater for larger addresses.

But, i would expect every i386 package to have a 64-bit equivalent, and
all the noarch packages to be common, so the number of files should be
the same.

but then as the 64-bit repo contains a significant number of 32-bit
packages. Having fewer packages in the 64-bit repo is not how it should be.

JK explained the build process failed, that is likely to explain it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait