KDE 4 live image for i686

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Dec 26 02:49:38 UTC 2007

Sebastian Vahl <ml <at> deadbabylon.de> writes:
> I've prepared a KDE4 live image for i686 for testing purposes.

Unfortunately, I can't get that image to do anything but crash. :-(

I first tried it on my old laptop. First I got no X at all, due to the s3virge
driver not being ported yet. Forcing xdriver=vesa got me further, however KDE
only gets as far as displaying the desktop background and panel, then X
crashes. (The panel can't actually be used before it crashes.) Moreover, before
crashing, KDE only actually uses the left ~2/3 of the screen (the vertical
space is fully used) and there's vertical interference lines.

Next, I tried it in QEMU (painfully slow even with kqemu enabled). I get the
same crash at the same place and the same graphical glitch. IIRC, the vesa
driver is also used in QEMU. I wonder if it's the vesa driver being broken in
Rawhide or if it's KDE 4 not liking it for some reason.

SELinux isn't the problem, as I also tried selinux=0.

I haven't tried to run it directly on my P4 yet.

        Kevin Kofler