yum enhancement request - save bandwidth

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 22:08:04 UTC 2007

On 2/1/07, Jerry Williams <jwilliam at xmission.com> wrote:
> Most of the time I already have a mirror of the updates.
> And it seems like a waste of bandwidth to download things again.
>
> Would it be possible to add a line to yum to say look here first.
> And "here" could be either another directory that might be nfs mounted or a
> web site.  If you find the package then use the local copy if not then go
> and pull it down from whatever site.

Edit the file and change the location of the repository.  My
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo has the line:

baseurl=file:///scratch/pub/fedora/updates/$releasever/$basearch/

To use the local mirror of updates.

> I am only talking about packages, not headers.
>
> Or if I am just doing a yum install and have a CD/DVD with the package on it
> and it would be nice to again get it local if possible.  Maybe even list
> multiple local places.  Like is it on a CD/DVD in the drive?  Nope is it on
> a local web site nope,  then get it off the web.

Someone is working on getting pup (and yum) to work from the CD/DVD.
It is easy to copy the contents of the CD/DVD to the hard disk and
make a local repository.  There probably should be a helper command
for doing making a local copy.

> I do want it to go to the web and find out what the current version is and
> if I have it great, it not go get it.
>
> If this is already done, please point me at the docs so that I can use it.

It is a relatively easy.  It is possible to have multiple baseurl for
a repository. I think it will fallback to later ones if one does have
the file. You could have a partial mirror setup on a local web server.
 Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to mix baseurl and
mirrorlist

It is also pretty easy to setup a local proxy server that cache
downloaded packages.

 - Ian