Scanner not found

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 3 05:26:03 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 04:00 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 09:38:37PM -0600, Gerry Tool wrote:
> > My Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner is not found in F7T1.  To make it
> > work in FC6, I only needed to install iscan, downloaded from avasys.com,
> > and it automatically worked.
>
> Actaully it doesn't work in FC6 either if you have SELinux turned on.

Setting selinux=0 on kernel line in grub made it work in F7t1.  I do run
FC6 with selinux disabled, so that is undoubtedly why it works there.

> > I have installed the latest iscan, and neither iscan nor xsane will
> > work.
>
> This is a bug in iscan / epson drivers. If you look at your system logs
> you'll see an SELinux AVC denial whenever you try to use the epson
> driver. IIRC I fixed it by clearing the execstack bit on the driver
>
>  execstack -c  /usr/lib/iscan/libesint54.so

I tried this to no avail, then set selinux=0 on command line to get it
to work, so I now know it will work if I can get it to behave with
selinux enabled.  Could not find a way in the F7t1 menu structure to set
selinux features.  I thought maybe there would be a
system-config-security, but that doesn't exist either.

Gerry