What is the fascination with 'spins'

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Feb 5 16:55:37 UTC 2007

Once upon a time, monty19@ hotmail.com <monty19 at hotmail.com> said:
> But the question I asked before that still hasn't been answered, is how big
> is Extras right now?  It looks (probably quite desceptively) relatively
> small when looking at the directory on download.fedora.redhat.com.  Does
> the sum total for Core and Extras really add up to more than the 4.7 GB
> that a DVD would provide?  Do you really even need two DVD images to get a
> complete install?

$ du -sh core/development/i386/os/ extras/development/i386/
3.6G    core/development/i386/os/
4.7G    extras/development/i386/

I'm in the "don't like lots of spins" camp (I don't want to have to burn
a Desktop DVD, a KDE DVD, a Developer DVD, and a Server DVD just to
avoid burning a 2-DVD "full" set), but I also see the issue with an
explosion of CDs.

However: who says CDs and DVDs have to be the same "spins"?  Have a
"desktop" slimmed-down CD spin as the CD set and a "full" spin as the
DVD set.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>