What is the fascination with 'spins'

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Feb 6 03:18:39 UTC 2007

Dr. Diesel wrote:
> I'm with the size reduction group.  Minimal install and yum for the
> rest.  For example, I never install Openoffice cause there is usually
> already an updated version, why install it then have to download the
> same amount for the update?

This does give an idea that packages which are updated frequently should
be located on install media which is more flexible. Package which are
pretty much stabilized and things the program set out to do are well
planned and updates are rare should be located on fixed media.

One could probably get a good idea as to which packages contribute to
the need for upgrade frequently once the install media was used to
install the static install media by tracing the updates and testing
frequency from FC6.

> Create a basic install CD, then hit the repos for the packages that
> interest you, then you'll be getting the latest on the first run.  Of
> course this doesn't work for dialup people but......

With static media available, the dial up user would be stuck with
possibly a system that would have possible security flaws since
downloading on dial-up is a bit of a challenge.

I don't know what possible alternatives would work out to make a never
changing media for the initial installation and media for the constantly
evolving programs.

Basically this thread seems to be a good discussion and some very good
ideas were presented rationally. I bow out now since most of the ideas
which I agree with were already presented by others on the thread.

Jim

--
QOTD:
	"If he learns from his mistakes, pretty soon he'll know everything."