What is the fascination with 'spins'

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 23:19:57 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 February 2007 17:53, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> > Is there some mechanism in all this to pull packages into a spin but
> > not set them to install by default? Or is the current group selection
> > / package selection going away in favour of a system where you make
> > your package selections at ISO build time and then install additional
> > packages later via network?
>
> A package manifest is just a flat file of packages to put on the media.
>
> A comps file is what defines the groupings of these packages and what is
> default/manditory/optional.

As pungi seems to digest comps.xml files for its package input, I am
not sure what the problem would be to make a big DVD spin with all the
groupings that an admin would need to install. I would assume that you
just feed pungi a bunch of comps.xml files or yumgroups.xml files and
you will have all your different sub-spins in one big DVD spin. Isn't
this how things will work or am I way off?

/Mike