emacs 22

Jonathan Corbet lwn-ft at lwn.net
Fri Feb 9 14:54:11 UTC 2007

Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:

> > > Hmmm, I'm having all sorts of problems with this version.  :) For
> > > starters, if I try to resize the Emacs window, it hangs my X11
> > > server, and it has to be restarted.
>
> Actually no.  It does not hang server.  It locks emacs window.  If
> you can login from a remote and kill emacs process then everything
> will work fine after that.

It's actually a window manager interaction problem.  The least intrusive
way I've found to unblock things is to switch out of X (alt-ctrl-F1) and
back in.  This works a little less well after the most recent update,
though, in that it causes the offending emacs window to be moved to the
first virtual desktop...

I've seen the window manager hang in other contexts as well.  I have six
virtual desktops arranged in two rows:

		1 2 3
		4 5 6

#4, for whatever reason, seems to be especially prone to this.  Going
for the GNOME menus from the panel (which I have on the bottom of the
screen) will often misbehave in that desktop.  Weirdness.

(This is with metacity, incidentally, though I believe I've seen the
emacs hang with compiz too).

jon