ati x1400 (text mode) F7+

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Feb 27 21:54:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 03:33:12PM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> I have an AMD system, so AFAIK I can't get an Intel card (aren't they
> all integrated?).  My only choices then for 3d with non-proprietary
> drivers are ATI cards, right?

Its worse than that

Nvidia provide open 2D but not 3D so you get basic 2D work
Older Radeon is supported

newer (roughly "post Xbox contract") Radeon is not supported and AMD are
actively blocking even 2D support.

> R3xx chips should work (for at least some degree of "work"), while no
> R4xx chips are supported.

Correct. AMD are blocking release of code for this. Please make sure AMD
understand you don't like it. Please understand that for many kernel
developers this is an "Intel platform bugs get automatic priority" issue.

Alan