ERROR: Could not find Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Ernest L. Williams Jr. ernesto at ornl.gov
Sun Jan 21 14:32:48 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 20:18 -0800, Per Bothner wrote:
> Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 23:45 -0800, Per Bothner wrote:
> >> Though last time I updated, it didn't work for me,
> >> even though I had updated to a matching kernel module.
> > You also have to modify modprobe.conf manually:
> >
> > install ipw3945 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ipw3945 ; sleep
> > 0.5 ; /sbin/ipw3945d --quiet
> > remove ipw3945 /sbin/ipw3945d --kill ; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove
> > ipw3945
>
> Actually, I got it working today.  The hint to also
> install yum-plugin-kmdl may have helped.
Yes, I did this also.

> I don't need anything for ipw3945 in modprobe.conf.
> Instead I created the attached init file.
>
> (I can't start ipw3945d from rc.local, since that gets
> run too late.)
Agreed; ipw3945 never comes back after a reboot.
I must manually restart it each time.  Sometimes it will just associate
and come to life on its own a few "10s of seconds" after I log into my
desktop.  We should not have to put this into rc.local.
By the way, I tried your script and it did not work for me.

I thought that the purpose of modprobe.conf is to get the device going
early on.
Also, I have used system-config-network to setup eth1 to startup at boot
time.
My "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1" reflects this as well.

When booting the message states something like:
Device ipw3945 not detected; delaying initialization.

Thanks,
Ernest