Fighting the i386 plague

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Mon Jan 22 21:29:13 UTC 2007

man, 22 01 2007 kl. 16:20 -0500, skrev Jesse Keating:
> On Monday 22 January 2007 16:09, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> > Can anybody tell me why it wants to pull in the i386 version of
> > gutenprint to replace the x86_64 version of gimp-print-utils?  Is there
> > any way to convince it not to do things like that?
>
> By default, if you ask yum to install <package>  and <package>.i386 +
> <package>.x86_64 are available, you'll get them both.  (same for other
> arches, like ppc/ppc64)  This is so that multilib Just Works and you don't
> have to think about it.  Those that DO think about it and concienciously
> decide to NOT use that feature of their processor can add "exclude=*.i?86"
> to /etc/yum.conf, as well as yum remove \*.i?86.

I seem to remember mentions that this specific solution to the multilib
disaster would cause problems by removing needed packages. Any truth to
that?

- David

--
"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible
propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.”