Fighting the i386 plague

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Jan 22 22:22:36 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 01:41:35PM -0800, alan wrote:

> A while back I tried removing the 32bit stuff and was left with a
> non-working system.

Actually removing 32bit stuff is quite easy.  The following

    yum remove '*.i?86'

will do just fine.  Just remember to run afterwards
'package-cleanup --problems' from 'yum-utils' package and reinstall
those packages where you will get complaints.

> Things like Acroread and similar binary only will need the
> libraries, as well.

If you are using something which requires i386 libraries then
removing those is clearly not an option.  Not a big surprise here
but this is very far from "a non-working system" if you break
some non-distro stuff here and there.

   Michal