Fighting the i386 plague

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Jan 22 22:28:53 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 05:23:04PM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:

> In the gutenprint case, the yum output may have been muddied a bit, it is
> entirely possible that the user had both x86_64 and i386 versions of
> gimp-print.

It is possible but a quoted output does not support what you saying.

> The replacement got attributed to the .x86_64 both times, which
> may not have been correct.

That output is correct in that sense that yum indeed does that.  I
have a "clean x86_64" test system as well and I run into exactly the
same issue with gimp-print and gutentprint.  That is why I know how
to get around that problem without adding a global exclude.

If you will let yum run as it pleases you will get many megabytes
of libraries pulled in by dependencies.  This includes glibc.i686
among other things.  None of that stuff really asked for.

   Michal