Fedora version update without ISOs

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sat Jun 9 17:54:05 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 09:28:22AM -0700, David Mack wrote:
> Yesterday, I updated a system from FC6 to F7 entirely across the
> Internet. There aren't a huge number of problems that would need to be
> fixed to make this process painless:

You have a simpler way to do the same if you have a suitable server
a connection to it which is fast and reliable enough.  Grab vmlinuz
and initrd.img from an os/isolinux which corresponds to an
architecture of your installation.  Drop those in /boot and boot
using those.  That kernel does not need or expect any parameters
unless you want to use something like 'text'.  This should get you
anaconda running.  Follow prompts picking up an over a network
installation method suitable to your circumstances.

> 4) after step 3 completed, I was able to go back and run yum update with
> no exclusions and install quagga and the other things I had initially
> had to exclude.

That will be the same only you would not have to deinstall quagga
"and the other things".  If you are using additional repositories
make sure before starting updates that their files in
/etc/yum.repos.d/ are correct for your brand new distro.  If you
have not done that yet then install 'yum-utils' package and run

   package-cleanup --problems

and also

   package-cleanup --orphans

This will point places which may require an additional attention.

If you are not doing using NFS method then you will need enough of a
disk space in /var/cache/yum to hold all packages that will be
needed in that process.  Also the same during follow up updates.

When running updates it is a good idea to have 'keepcache=1'
in /etc/yum.conf.  You do not want to dump few hundreds of
megabytes of cache because something run into minor troubles.

> Now someone can tell me the right way to have done this.

Every way which works is right. :-)  OTOH this is "testing" list.

   Michal