no gnome user sessions after 20070618 changes

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Jun 19 04:00:12 UTC 2007

After I applied 20070618 updates then I cannot start any
gnome session for a non-root user.  For root I am getting
a desktop as usual.  On any non-root account of my test box
it starts, I am getting a blue backgroud and that is it.
Nothing happens after few minutes wait.  A quick look at
processes does not reveal anything obvious although I could
possibly missed something.

Am I the only one with this problem?  Any ideas what may be
falling apart.  '.xsession-errors' files are filling up with
warnings like that:

***MEMORY-WARNING***: gnome-session[3348]: GSlice: g_thread_init()
must be called before all other GLib functions; memory corruption
due to late invocation of g_thread_init() has been detected; this
program is likely to crash, leak or unexpectedly abort soon...

***MEMORY-WARNING***: gconf-sanity-check-2[3424]: GSlice:
g_thread_init() must be called before all other GLib functions;
memory corruption due to late invocation of g_thread_init() has been
detected; this program is likely to crash, leak or unexpectedly
abort soon...

but this breakage is nothing new in the current rawhide.

Maybe the above is really the clue as there is nothing after
that for non-root accounts.  For root this is followed by

SESSION_MANAGER=local/dyna0.xxx.yyy:/tmp/.ICE-unix/3534

and a big pile of other "***MEMORY-WARNING***" messages.

Yes, I checked, permissions on /tmp, .ICE-unix and that socket
are like they should be.  Maybe this gconf-sanity-check-2
is really stuck.  Only /usr/libexec/gconf-sanity-check-2
did not change recently.

   Michal