Fedora 7 Test 4 GNOME based i386 Live CD report

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Wed May 2 02:38:52 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 06:26, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> > The prime spin still has Firefox, Evolution and three openoffice.org
> > applications which makes sense for RHEL but not for Fedora. I would
> > prefer something more home user oriented for Fedora.
>
> Why on earth do you think firefox, evolution and OOo don't make sense
> for Fedora users ? The only reason OOo is not on the livecd is space.

Seems like as good a time as any for a good rant.....

How about Firefox being trademark encumbered and therefore illegal to
redistribute without a special license?  RedHat has signed such a
license so can redistribute their modified version in RHEL; but the
Fedora Foundation had damned well better not be signing any such thing
while prancing about tossing packages out far less serious deviations
from purity.  (openmotif for example.  I'm not arguing for patented
codecs and closed drivers.)

Yea, probably a bit late to fix at the 11th hour, but this issue has
been brought up before... way before.  Sooner or later either Fedora or
Moz Corp has to blink, either they rethink their trademark license or
Fedora stops claiming to be 100% pure Free Software and deals with the
logical fallout from the policy change.

http://lwn.net/Articles/118268/   (Way back in Jan 2005)
http://lwn.net/Articles/200857/   (Again back in Sept 06)

--