F7-T4 Install Woes (LVM, RAID, grub)

Brian Hanks bhanks at bhanks.com
Sat May 5 14:41:37 UTC 2007

Last night I finally found the time to install F7-T4 on one of my test
boxes.  It was a vast improvement over the previous test releases in
that I actually managed to run the installer in its entirety.  It
recognized my RAID 1 devices and my LVM setup.  All seemed to be well.

Then, the install finished and I hit the Reboot button.  The result was
the Grub prompt.  No panic, I'm quite familiar with Grub.  So, I
proceeded to use the Grub interface to manually boot the new install.  I
set the root device to what I knew was the /boot partition.  A few
commands later, I was puzzled.  I was getting #12 and #13 grub errors.
Odd, but still no panic.  I have a backup of a previous boot partition
that I can use.  Same problem.  Hmmm...  I decided to run the Grub find
command.  It returned the following devicies which are actually an
ubuntu install that I had preserved:  (hd0,8) & (hd1,8).  Now I started
to panic.  I'm quite sure that my two boot partitions (primary & copy)
are (hd0,0) & (hd1,2).  Oh well, I think that maybe something has
changed.  So I try to utilize either of these.   More #12 & #13
errors.

I just booted with Knoppix to assess the damage.  The /boot (ext3)
and /var (RAID1 ext3) partitions are completely empty, and the / (RAID1
ext3) partition seems to only be partially populated.  The remainder of
my partitions are LVM, but I'm not going to spend any time assessing the
damage as I know it's probably not good.

Any known issues that might cause this?

Thanks,
-- Brian