standard "xwininfo" not installed by FC7T4

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Tue May 8 15:26:54 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 08:58 -0500, ron flory wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 08:28 -0500, ron flory wrote:
> >>   Dropping xwininfo is like dropping ps or wc.  They are
> >> obscure tools that you may not use everyday, but when
> >> you need them, you really NEED them...
> >
> > Whats wrong with just installing them when you need them ?
>
>   If X is installed, xwininfo should be installed.  I can't
> be the only person who does this sort of thing...

Given that you're the first person to complain about it in the entirety
of the F7 cycle, you may well be the only person.

>   xwininfo is a tiny prog and was installed in support of X
> by all previous RH and FC distros I can remember (since before
> RH 4).  Why remove it now?

Benign neglect.

The set of packages the contain the stock command line utilities for X
were sort of handwaved into existence.  We don't really know what set of
them get used on any regular basis, but we pretty strongly suspect most
of them never get used.  See above.  I mean, we installed texteroids in
every RHL, RHEL <= 4, and FC <= 4, but that doesn't mean it was ever
necessary or appreciated.

Personally I don't care either way.  I don't think most of
xorg-x11-utils gets used enough to be worth installing by default, but I
also wouldn't object if it were.

- ajax