F7-T4 Install Woes (LVM, RAID, grub)

Brian Hanks bhanks at bhanks.com
Wed May 9 13:23:04 UTC 2007

   --I have BZ'd several software raid and LV issues over the months,
but they get pretty --much ignored as not reproducible.  See earlier
post this list about problems "FC7T4 Not --Seeing Pre-existing
software raid arrays"  Seems that you must go to console 2 prior to
--setting up your partitions and make sure your raid arrays and LVs
are there and active.  --Then allow anaconda to move to the
partitioning phase and use custom configuration.  I --first noticed
problems with raid arrays and LVs during FC6Test days and they
continue --with the change to using the SCSI interface for all disk
detection and enumeration.

   I hear you, they do seem to get ignored.  The truly frustrating
part to me is that features that were working in RH9 (and before) are
now showing up as broken, and they don't seem to get much attention.
I admit that I don't have as much time to devote as I did in the old
days, but I still try to do my part.  Seems to me that we need to
focus a little more effort on regression testing.  Progress isn't
progress unless all of the pre-existing features still work.  I face
this every day in my work, and we spend a significant amount of time
regression testing to ensure that our releases don't impact the
customer.  I had to wait until the FC6 Re-Spin before I managed to get
FC6 working, and now F7 is shaping up to be the same thing.