Panasonic CF-52 (Radeon X2100), and xorg does not work with F8T3

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Fri Nov 2 22:26:51 UTC 2007

Adam Jackson wrote, On 10/30/2007 08:53 AM:
> On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 18:06 -0500, Todd Denniston wrote:
>> Folks,
>> we just tried an install on a Panasonic CF-52 (TOUGHBOOK laptop) using an ATI
>> Radeon X2100.
>> 1) had to install in text mode because X is just black screen.
>> 2) after install startx results in the same situation. (consistency is nice)
>> 3) by default xorg.conf is pointing at vesa instead of an ati driver, so it
>> does not do a PCI scan, it just hangs at a black screen.
>
> The 'ati' driver in F8 does not support R600 chips.  You have an R600
> chip.  It ain't gonna work.

Adam,
You did mean that the ati driver that comes with the xorg in the F8 distro
would not work, but that the fglrx from livna has a chance to work right????

I just updated the system from F8T3 to the current rawhide set (including the
kernel), rebooted and then `yum install kmod-fglrx`.  after rebooting again so
that the xorg.conf got built by the livna stuff, I did a startx
and ...
got the same result as the vesa driver, i.e., locked system and black screen.
AAAAGGGHH!

And to think with FC5 we can get the things to work, but apparently the guys
are building the drivers supplied directly from ATI.

Is there any hope to be had that when you do the disruption[1] there will be
some support for the R600 chips?

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-October/msg02223.html
--
Todd Denniston