Problems with F8 kickstart

David Mack dmack at juniper.net
Mon Nov 12 16:07:24 UTC 2007

I just tried kickstarting a system with F8. I asked for this list of
groups in the ks file:

%packages
@ base
@ base-x
@ base-system
@ admin-tools
@ authoring-and-publishing
@ buildsys-build
@ clustering
@ core
@ development-libs
@ development-tools
@ dial-up
@ dns-server
@ eclipse
@ editors
@ education
@ engineering-and-scientific
@ fonts
@ ftp-server
@ games
@ gnome-desktop
@ gnome-software-development
@ graphical-internet
@ graphics
@ java
@ java-development
@ kde-desktop
@ kde-software-development
@ legacy-fonts
@ legacy-network-server
@ legacy-software-development
@ mail-server
@ mysql
@ network-server
@ news-server
@ office
@ printing
@ ruby
@ server-cfg
@ smb-server
@ sound-and-video
@ sql-server
@ system-tools
@ text-internet
@ virtualization
@ web-development
@ web-server
@ window-managers
@ x-software-development
@ xfce-desktop
@ xfce-software-development
@ desktops
@ apps
@ development
@ servers

During the beginning of the package check, I was notified that three or
four of these were not available (these all are in <id>...</id> tags in
Fedora-8-comps.xml.) Otherwise, the kickstart proceeded without
problems. After the reboot, it turned out that many of the things I
expected to be installed weren't (emacs, fvwm, fluxbox, and most
importantly xfs, so X couldn't find any fonts.) When I tried to yum
groupinstall editors to get emacs, I was informed that vim-enhanced was
already installed and that no updates are available. So far, I've been
able to install individual missing packages (except for vncserver; but
vncviewer is installed) using yum install.

Any thoughts on what is wrong here?

Dave