F8t3 DNS setup problem solved - Is it a bug?

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Mon Oct 8 13:58:41 UTC 2007

Here is the answer to my problem that I found with the help
of the following page on Linux network configuration:

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialNetworking.html

I had to edit the following files manually:

#/etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=fedora-laptop
FORWARD_IPV4=false
GATEWAY="10.0.0.xxx"

#/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=10.0.0.255
IPADDR=10.0.0.3
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
GATEWAY=10.0.0.xxx
ONBOOT=yes

This works with /sbin/dhclient-script and it's dependencies
uninstalled.

I can also reboot the machine and the eth0 inteface comes
up, and it is still working OK when I start X and KDE.

The only problem now is I have an empty /etc/hosts file.

I have copied my /etc/hosts file from FC6 to the empty F8t3
/etc/hosts file, and rebooted the machine.

I can ping www.grc.com from the CLI. X and KDE also start
OK, and the eth0 interface is working as well.

Maybe the RedHat Fedora team would like to see if they can
reproduce this on a test machine by selecting IPv4 static IP
with manual setup, from the 7.92 network installation disk,
using HTTP method?

Kind Regards

Keith Roberts