sound settings not saved when computer is rebooted

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 9 13:51:01 UTC 2007

--- David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > --- Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> Antonio Olivares (olivares14031 at yahoo.com) said:
> >> How *specifically* are they different? Is
> something
> >> muted? Is something set to 50% that wasn't
> before?
> >>
> > No, they are no different, what I mean to say is
> that
> > if you set alsamixer with some values, you turn
> off
> > your machine your settings are not saved.  You
> have to
> > reset the volume to your preferences.
>
> And just before you "reset the volume to your
> preferences", what are the
> faders and mutes actually showing {zero, {un}muted,
> random, full, half }?

What I had saved previously,

Master Volume Tab 87
Master Mono 87
PCM values set to 87
CD 87
Video 87

Settings after Reboot get reset to

Master 74
Master Mono 74
PCM 52
CD 74
Video 0

> Or are you saying that the values in the mixer are
> correctly remembered,
> but not applied ?
>
> Is it all settings, or perhaps just the capture
> source selection ?
>
> When you "turn off" or restart, are you doing the
> normal from the menu
> shutdown or restart options ? {not hitting the power
> switch or reset
> switch ;) }

Normal shutdown or reboot, results are the same.

> DaveT.
>
> --

Old workaround to use /sbin/salsa -s in /etc/rc.local
does not work anymore.

[olivares at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/rc.local
#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other
init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if
you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
/sbin/salsa -l
[olivares at localhost ~]$

What takes care of the saving the sound settings?

New Sound server, pulse audio?
/etc/modprobe.conf with /sbin/alsactl restore,
/sbin/alasctl store, or with /sbin/salsa -l and what
saves the settings alsactl or salsa?

We need to have this corrected so that users in Fedora
8 can have a pleasant experience with sound.  Settings
in Fedora 7 do not get saved as well but good thing
that the workaround does work there :).

Regards,

Antonio