monitor hot-switching is difficult

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Wed Oct 10 16:58:23 UTC 2007

In F7 I was able to switch between internal laptop screen
and external-monitor (dual0-screen) using a couple a scripts:

$ cat ~/bin/1screen
xrandr --output  LVDS  --auto
$ cat ~/bin/2screens
xrandr --output  LVDS  --auto  --output VGA --auto --right-of LVDS

Now they don't seem to work.  I can sometimes switch between internal
and external monitor using some magic incantation that I haven't been
able to nail down, but it can involve the Screen Resolution Preferences.
Sometimes switching virtual terminals helps.

This is on a Dell Inspiron E1405 with "Intel Corporation Mobile
945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller" and the
intel driver.

Of course what we all really want is using gnome-display-properties
or its successor to manage multiple displays, as in OS X and Windows,
but I guess we'll have to wait until F9.  (It seems like an important
Enterprise feature being able to connect a laptop to a projector or
monitor, and it's a shame when the technology is there, but there is
no usable UI for it.)
--
	--Per Bothner