F8t3 on a USB stick

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Oct 15 18:57:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 14:56 +0200, Stelian Iancu wrote:
> As per written here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo it is possible to
> have a live Fedora CD/DVD USB stick.
>
> However, as Will Woods points out in the following post:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2007-May/msg00308.html
>
> It's a *lot* faster than the LiveCD, too. But it still works just like
> the LiveCD - changes you write to the filesystem while running will
> *not* be preserved.
>
> My question now is if it's possible to make the changes written to the
> filesystem while running persistent. Basically to some how have the OS
> "installed" on the USB stick _without_ the actual installation part
> :-).

You can do it with manual finagling and custom configs right now, but
doing it in a generalized fashion isn't going to make Fedora 8.  We[1]
started on some work to do this, but given that it was leading to
filesystem corruption, it didn't seem like the best thing to leave
enabled for users to trip over :-/  We're planning to revisit the
problems once development for Fedora 9 begins and hopefully have the
functionality enabled and working well for the Fedora 9 release.

Jeremy

[1] Mostly the work of Douglas McClendon; my role was mostly just
looking over the patches and going "hrmmm, what about foo?" :)