[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: missing dependencies for yum update





On 10/16/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating redhat com> wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:05:59 -0700
John Poelstra <poelstra redhat com> wrote:

> Why doesn't this work?
>
> # yum update --exclude=kdebase --exclude=kdegraphics --exclude=kdelibs
>
> Error: Missing Dependency: libIlmImf.so.4()(64bit) is needed by
> package kdegraphics Error: Missing Dependency: libIlmImf.so.4 is
> needed by package kdegraphics Error: Missing Dependency: libHalf.so.4
> is needed by package kdelibs Error: Missing Dependency:
> libIlmImf.so.4 is needed by package kdelibs Error: Missing
> Dependency: libIlmImf.so.4()(64bit) is needed by package kdelibs
> Error: Missing Dependency: libHalf.so.4()(64bit) is needed by package
> kdelibs Error: Missing Dependency: libIlmImf.so.4 is needed by
> package kdebase Error: Missing Dependency: libIlmImf.so.4()(64bit) is
> needed by package kdebase

Something else in your update set requires the updated
kdebase/graphics/libs and thus they're being pulled back in.  All
--exclude does is remove them from being looked at for updates in the
first pass.  If something else in your update set requires newer
versions of those they will be added into the transaction set.


I have found numerous occasions where there is some sort of dependency
issue/conflict.  My approach is to then break down the update into
smaller chunks in an attempt to more easily diagnose the issue, or
install as much of the day's changes as possible before waiting for
the next day's rawhide turn of the crank.

So I've looked back at the steps/chunks I did last night
(unfortunately I did use the GUI once or twice to get a package
or two
so those won't be listed here, but in the end, I did:


yum update [a-j]* [m-z]*
yum update [A-Z]* amarok kdeaddons
yum update kdepim
yum update kdemultimedia
yum update kdebindings
yum update kdesdk-libs
yum update kdesdk*
yum update ilmbase
yum update ilmbase*
yum update kdebindings*
yum update OpenEXR
yum update OpenEXR-libs
yum update OpenEXR-libs* ilmbase*
yum update kdelibs


and I think that either bitched about some
stuff and/or got everything except for the libraries
you are complaining about.  Then I left it for this morning.

... This morning there were another 206 packages that
had changed overnight.  So I just did a 'yum update'
(forgetting about last nights discrepancies)
and it all completed successfully for me.

I know that's not an answer for you, its just my anecdote.


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]