Is NetworkManager really as broken as it seems?

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 13:03:16 UTC 2007

I'll try asking one more time before I give up on F8...

Is NetworkManager/KNetworkManager really as broken as it seems?

On my (laptop) system, as soon as I start
NetworkManager/NetworkManagerDispatcher it:

a) doesn't know about any wireless device,
b) forgets about and DISABLES the existing wired connection

So my only recourse is to kill of *NetworkManager* and do an 'ifup eth0'.

Seems to me that make it _very_ broken.
Am I the _only_ one experiencing these catastrophic failures?

There are over 200 Bugzilla entries against this software, and given
that, I'd expect that there would be new versions of their RPMs
coming out each day to slowly try to resolve these things.  Or is there
some other strategic activity/non-activity going on behind the scenes?