F8T3 yum update failures

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Thu Oct 18 19:59:00 UTC 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:37:40 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

> Sorry, I just joined the list.  While I did scan the archives, I didn't
> see any resolution to F8T3 yum update failures...specifically the one
> where kdegraphics and kdebase depend on libIlmImf.so.4.
>
> That file exists in both /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 on my system (Opteron)
> and I've done a forced update (rpm -Fvh --force --nodeps) for those two
> packages yet yum still won't complete the update.
>
> Any ideas?

The "fix" you tried is completely incorrect. People around the world
propose such "forced updates" again and again, and it seems impossible
to stop them from doing so. :( So, takes this advice: Look at *all*
packages in the update transaction set, not just the packages that are
installed already. Yum complains about files that will be missing
*after* applying the updates. An updated package takes away the needed
library. It doesn't matter that the library, which is complained
about, is installed already. A new package replaces the file with a
newer library that is incompatible with other packages. In your case
it is the newer OpenEXR-libs package which is ABI-incompatible. Wait
for the rebuilds [of the KDE packages] to show up in your favourite
mirror of Fedora Development (aka rawhide).