Inspiron 6400/1505 & Intel 3945 how to?

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 16:58:38 UTC 2007

On 10/22/07, Mary Ellen Foster <mefoster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22/10/2007, Fulko Hew <fulko.hew at gmail.com> wrote:
> > a) when I start NetworkManager(Dispatcher) and KNetworkManager,
> >    KNetworkManager does not list my wired eth0, and does not list
> >    any wireless networks.
>
> Are you using knetworkmanager on Rawhide? As far as I know,
> knetworkmanager doesn't work with the newest NetworkManager and you
> should use nm-applet instead.

Yes, I was trying to use knetworkmanager.

I tried nm-applet last week, and that didn't work for me,
so I gave up on it. But today... IT WORKS!  :-)

So... as it stands:

a) I appear to have wireless working now.
b) use 'nm-applet', not 'knetworkmanager'

but...

c) The wireless LED on the laptop no longer shows any network activity.
d) Fn-F2 no longer disables (controls) wireless
e) When I try to use Fn-F2, it is ignored, wireless continues to work,
   and /var/log/messages complains with:

Oct 22 12:50:36 fulkol kernel: iwl3945: Radio Frequency Kill Switch is On:
Oct 22 12:50:36 fulkol kernel: Kill switch must be turned off for wireless
networking to work.