A couple of annoying F8t3 things

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Oct 25 10:55:19 UTC 2007

Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> [rodd at localhost ~]$ time host home.gateway
> home.gateway has address 192.168.1.254
> ;; Warning: short (< header size) message received
> ;; Warning: short (< header size) message received
>
> real    0m20.050s
> user    0m0.002s
> sys     0m0.005s
> [rodd at localhost ~]$ time host 192.168.1.254
> 254.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer home.gateway.
>
> real    0m0.066s
> user    0m0.004s
> sys     0m0.005s
> [rodd at localhost ~]$ time host 192.168.1.100
> ;; Warning: short (< header size) message received
>
> real    0m10.009s
> user    0m0.004s
> sys     0m0.006s
> [rodd at localhost ~]$
>> Those timeouts look to me to be your problem. You can try running
>> tcpdump on the server. Read the docs, but it's something like this:
>
> Yeah, it would appear to be.  Sadly 192.168.1.254 is a wireless internet
> router, so I don't have much control there.

Well, you can install bind and cacheing-nameserver, and configure your
own zones.

It's educational, earns geek points:-)

>>> Nope.
>> That's probably part of the problem. Can you fix that?
>
> The mail server is in Western Australia (like you ;-] ) so it doesn't
> really need to be able to resolve my local IP stuff does it?

It probably wants to resolve the IP address of its client; mostly in
these circles folk on a LAN are using NAT and so the IP address it sees
is your gateway to the net, js.id.au in my case, 125.168.4.115 in yours.
125.168.4.115 resolves, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Could you run this command while you send some email:

tcpdump -i any -A -s 9999 -ttt port 25  and host 192.168.1.100

That will show you the traffic, in ascii.

What you ware looking for is something like
ehlo 192.168.1.100
and that's wrong, the text after ehlo should be resolvable.

Can you send through Wholesale Communications Group to see whether
that's better?

Now I really must go.

--

Cheers