no kernal after 2.6.23.1-23 boots

ray goss itsmealso2 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 25 11:57:27 UTC 2007

running fsck /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
returns no valid ext2 file system bad superblock tun
e2fsck on an alternate superblock .

the system boots normaly when I select kernel
2.6.23.1-23

gparted shows from within fedora shows that drive
(sdb1) as ext3 , hardware info from Ubuntu 7.04 also
on the same box (sda) shows it to be ext3
also.entering my root pwd after the boot halts with
-26 or later I can access and browse the file system
in text mode , I can access and browse the file system
from Ubuntu.

it may be a filesystem error but why does it affect
only Fedora kernals 2.6.23.1-26 and later ?