Rawhide DVD images

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Thu Oct 25 14:50:19 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote, On 10/25/2007 04:08 AM:
> Todd Denniston wrote:
>> Jesse Keating wrote, On 10/24/2007 02:09 PM:
>>> I've put up a set of rawhide DVD images.  If it had signed copies of
>>> the packages it could be considered RC1, but since it doesn't, it
>>> isn't.  However as many eyes on it as possible would be great.  We
>>> don't get that many opportunities to test DVD install methods and such.
>>>
>>> As always, images are available from http://torrent.fedoraproject.org
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/20/comcast_denies_bittorrent_busting_again/
>

> As I understand it, IAPs hate filesharing. They often cache popular
> stuff locally - I can get clarkconnect, fedora, opensuse, ubuntu &
> debian (and more) from my local mirror, and there's movie trailers and
> other stuff there too. They do it to save bandwidth; it makes little
> difference to users where they get stuff, but if stuff doesn't come from
> their allowance then there's some incentive to use the local mirrors.
>
> Some, but apparently not all (I can't find Westnet's) also use caching
> proxies to reduce downloads, and enter into sharing arrangements with
> other Internet Access Providers in their are.
>
> However, torrents bypass all this. In consequence the IAPs have to pay
> more for infrastructure and for their downloads, and these extra costs
> are passed on to users.
>
> They're good for originating servers, but for nobody else.

Too bad you can't tell torrent "hit this local torrent 'proxy/cache' and if it
has a copy get my data (including others to connect from/to) from there".

Note: --tracker_proxy only connects you to an http proxy so you can make the
initial connection, not the download||upload connections.  there exists no
torrent_proxy.

Yes it is sad to only be a leach, but if we could operate our download that
way at all then we might be able to contribute in other ways.

--
Todd Denniston