ALSA 1.0.15 update test kernels available

David L idht4n at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 16:29:33 UTC 2007

On 10/25/07, David L <idht4n at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/25/07, Chuck Ebbert <cebbert at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > We are considering adding ALSA 1.0.15 to the Fedora 8 release. This
> > would get us up-to-date with the latest audio drivers and fix many
> > problems with audio drivers not working, or only partially working.
> >
> > Test kernels for i686 and x86_64 are available at:
> >
> >   http://people.redhat.com/cebbert/kernels/F8/
>

> I tried the 2.6.23.1-32.ALSA kernel.  I don't use sound for much except
> skype and skype did not work.  When I tried to make a call, it said "call
> failed".  This happened with and without padsp.  However, arecord and
> aplay did work.  In case it matters, my Smolt profile is under UUID
> 37636b13-c28a-4dd5-a6da-de8653e97bc3 .

I reinstalled the old kernel and skype worked again, but when
I tried to reproduce the skype problem with the ALSA kernel, I
couldn't.  I've booted the ALSA kernel 4 more times and skype has worked
after each reboot.  I know I did see a skype problem the first
time I booted with the ALSA kernel, but it perhaps had nothing
to do with the kernel.  The only problem I've seen since then
is the soundcard detection fails to play the test sound sometimes,
but this was true with the old kernel too.