Upgrades - updates - discuss?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Oct 26 17:32:27 UTC 2007

I have use RedHat since 4.(something) and I like Fedora and hope to stay
with it.  The issue I have is downtime to do a full re-install and get
things configured.  In the past I have had problems with
missing/dropped/depreciate packages that have caused me headaches.
Issues with secondary repositories not creating new packages for the
latest FC until requested.  And all the other fun things that keep
showing up on this forum.  For home use, I cannot afford a second spare
computer.

With FC8 just about to come out, I am still waiting until I get F7
working at home for my wife to allow me to move her from FC4 on her
laptop.  I cannot take more than a day to do this and she needs all her
applications up and running.  But some of issues are are not the Fedora
teams fault, as the applications are provided by secondary repositories.

I came across this article that discusses rolling upgrades in contrast
to scheduled upgrades.

http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/231-The-Absent-PCLinuxOS-Release-Cycle.html

Now this is a pro-PCLinux discussion but some of the points brought up
are interesting.  Of course they have been brought up on this and the
users lists before.

Reading about the changes to development in F8 and later versions of
Fedora, I wonder if it would be possible to look at doing a rolling
upgrade instead of a release?

I have always been under the impression that a rolling upgrade wasn't
possible.  I believe, from experience that there could be some problems
but in general, I don't see it as impossible.

In some cases, the old configuration files just don't work with the new
applications.

At work I am still using FC6, again due to down time needed to do a
clean install and get all the applications working.

I have seen some cases of installing F7 rpms in FC6 and this makes me
think that it would be possible to implement F8 rpms in F7 and possibly
F9 rpms in F8 when it comes out.  I guess what I am trying to say is
that by the time F9 is ready to be spun, the F8 repositories are
carrying most if not all the software of F9 and users would be at the F9
level.

Just a thought to make users lives easier.

--
Robin Laing