F8 on Mactel

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 02:13:34 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 21:00 -0500, Chris Negus wrote:
> I noticed that there is no longer a free download of bootcamp available
> from Apple that can be used to set up a Mac to dual-boot with Fedora (at
> least I can't find it). Is buying Leopard the only way to get bootcamp?
> If so, is there some other tool (preferably open source) to use to do
> what bootcamp does?

Bootcamp *isn't* what makes it so that you can dual-boot a Mac.  The
initial release of BootCamp included two things:
1) A utility to resize your HFS partition to make room for another OS.
This isn't available anymore, so you have to either reinstall with a
smaller partition or use something else to resize (hfsresize may work)
2) A firmware update to enable the legacy BIOS bits.  This is the actual
important and interesting part -- and it's still available

Jeremy