Upgrade to ext4, how?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 20:21:26 UTC 2008

Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like test ext4 on my rawhide install, but do not want to do a new
> install. Is there a way to upgrade my system partition
> (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00) to ext4 without breaking things? I tried
> editing /etc/fstab to use ext4dev (ext4 at first) but computer stopped
> booting with newer kernels (those that had initrd generated after the
> fstab change...).

I thought mounting as ext4dev was the proper way to do this, so not sure.  It
should be ext4 after release.

Did older kernels boot with ext4dev in fstab but not new ones?  What happened
when you tried to boot (switch_root errors?).

> If not, then I'd perhaps be willing to do a new installation, but only
> via Live Desktop Spin. Is that supported?

Yes you can select ext4 from the live cd installer.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29