F8 GRUB cannot access F9-Beta root

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Fri Apr 4 15:21:44 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:55 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Sigh. F9-Beta doesn't like to be tested.

We're doing weekly snapshots; you might try today's snapshot instead of
F9Beta.

> First, Anaconda gave a traceback
> upon being told to use a GRUB device other than MBR.

Hm. What's your disk layout like? What device were you telling it to
use?

> Then, during the next attempt, I installed GRUB into MBR. But after
> restoring F8's GRUB, I found out that it cannot access F9-Beta's root
> partition.

Did you encrypt F9b's disk? It'd be kind of tricky for GRUB to read
that, obviously.

How did you restore F8's GRUB?

> That would have been my way to boot into it from the
>  command-line. But it fails to find /boot/grub/grub.conf on it and
>  errors out (2: Bad file or directory type) even if I specify it
>  myself.

> It seems to be incompatible with F9.

That seems unlikely; more likely is that there was some mixed-up
configuration generated by anaconda at some point.

If you can give us some details of how your partitions etc. are set up,
I can try to reproduce your problem so we can fix it.

-w