Finally, a rawhide install!

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Sat Apr 5 00:52:27 UTC 2008

I finally got a rawhide to install successfully.

I had to do a text-mode install, as every time I used the raphical
installer, anaconda would error out with an i/o error on tune2fs(!)

I did a minimal install (no options checked, no customizations).

Firstboot fails with a syntax error on line 44 of S99firstboot. (Missing
']' and FIRSTBOOT is not a command.)

PackageKit is the pits!  It double-lists all the installed packages (one
as installed and one as not installed)  and only one package at a time
can be added during the session.  This is a major step backwards from
pirut. [I thought packagekit was going to be an alternative to pirut,
not to replace it right away!]

NetworkManager doesn't do very well with handling just a wired
connection, it gets started much to late to let the NFS locking
mechanism start successfully.  Have to chkconfig network on and
netorkmanager off.

Otherwise, it is a good solid system. seems stable and operational,
despite the hassles of getting it to install, and the other noted errors.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury