Exiting urxvt freezes system

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sat Apr 5 03:47:48 UTC 2008

This is an odd one.

One of my favorite xterminals is urxvt, rxvt-unicode.

I only installed it on a relatively fresh Rawhide tonight, after doing
the latest updates.

It opens, I can type things in it and everything's fine.  However, if I
type exit to close the terminal, my entire system freezes.  I can't ping
it from another machine, I can't use any keystrokes to get out of X, the
mouse is frozen and the only thing to do is a hard reboot of the machine
by pressing the power key.

This is again on my low end Acer Aspire 4720z laptop.  At this point,
I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into something like this.
Other xterms (xterm, uxterm, and gnome-terminal) work without problem.  It
happens in fluxbox, openbox and Gnome. There's nothing unusual in my
.Xdefaults--the only thing I do is change the color of the background
from white to grey.

/var/log/messages shows kernel: X[2109]: segfault at 0 ip 0812fdf2
spbf94c03c error 4 in Xorg[8048000+1ae000].

I don't know if it's worth troubleshooting, as this particular laptop
seems to constantly have issues that no one else ever has, but thought
I'd ask if anyone else has seen anything similar.  It's version
rxvt-unicode-9.02-2.fc9.i386.

At this point, I'm just curious if anyone else uses urxvt and has run
into this.

To the developers, I realize this isn't an adequate bug report, as I
said above, I'm not even sure it's worth following up.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: So when do we destroy the world, already?