My f9 test results/problems

Stefan Cornelius stefan.cornelius at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 12:40:32 UTC 2008

Hi everybody,

a few days ago I upgraded from f8 to rawhide. I encountered the
following problems:

* While upgrading, it launched /bin/sh a couple of times. For a short
period of time it printed error messages, because a certain lib was
missing. I'm sorry I didn't write it down, but I think it was t1lib. I
don't know if that's a big issue, but maybe some install scripts
failed because the shell wouldn't launch?

* Firefox has _big_ menus, buttons and distances between lines. So
far, it's the only application I noticed with such an odd error. I
tried a clean profile, but that did not help. I guess it's a setting
I've set incorrectly. Any pointers?

* No sound. Sound detection works just fine (e.g. I can play sounds
when pressing test in system-config-soundcard) but all other
applications seem to complain: the gnome volume control says there are
no GStreamer plugins/devices and kaffeine/amarok say xine failed to
initialize all audio drivers.

lspci:
00:06.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev a2)

dmesg | grep sound
ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_intel.c:1810: chipset global capabilities = 0x4401
ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_intel.c:749: codec_mask = 0x1
ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:2236: hda_codec: model '6stack-dig' is
selected for config 1043:81f6 (Asus M2N-SLI)
ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:1073: Cannot find slave Headphone
Playback Volume, skipped
ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:1073: Cannot find slave Mono Playback
Volume, skipped
ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:1073: Cannot find slave Speaker
Playback Volume, skipped
ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:1073: Cannot find slave Speaker
Playback Switch, skipped
ALSA sound/pci/bt87x.c:931: bt87x0: Using board 1, analog, digital
(rate 32000 Hz)

Thanks in advance and kind regards,
Stefan