Today's rawhide install

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Sat Apr 5 17:16:50 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 13:02 -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:

> 2. When booting for the first time, I get the graphical boot but then it drops
> to test mode to give do the first boot stuff but before I can respond it tries
> to start X and hangs. All I see are a mouse pointer and a blue background.
> Rebooting with RHGB off gets me to a text based first boot and then a command
> prompt. Switching to run level 5 gets X started and operating as expected.
> inittab shows the default runlevel to be 3. I changed it to 5. I suspect that
> the reason it was defaulted to 3 is because anaconda failed to start X during
> the install, so I did the install over vnc. After the first reboot and a relabel
> the machine started normally with RHGB enabled.

Soo, you had the "failed x" during install as well?  Was thinking of
doing a text install, but wasn't sure I could get X running afterwards,
since it failed during install.  Wonder what that is about?

So you got X going after install, on boot, by relabeling selinux or
turning it off?  Guess if I do it via text, I might have to install a
few gnome packages or something afterwards?

As far as inittab, that isn't used now with upstart.  I think you have
to edit or change /etc/event.d/*some file* for that, not sure.
Although, I *think* what may be happening as well, is the one line that
is for what run level to use, is being used for now, until decided to
completely not use it at all.

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302 at fedoraproject.org