Orphan nodes in an ext4 file system

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Mon Apr 7 00:45:22 UTC 2008

Dave Jones wrote:
> <snip>
> Are you seeing these only the first time after an install completes?
> There's an open anaconda bug where we fail to umount the installed
> partition correctly. (which affects ext2,3 and 4).
>
> If you're seeing it in other circumstances, did things cleanly shutdown
> before the reboot ?
>
> 	Dave

  I am seeing these randomly after what appears to be a clean shutdown,
i.e., menu shutdown or restart.  Not seeing them at all on test
sequences where restart comes very soon after startup.  They seem to
appear only after a session where I use a lot of different programs for
  couple of hours.  I frequently use thunderbird, firefox and some kde
programs like konqueror, kwrite and k3b.  I also use the cli to use
system utilities from a gnome terminal like the various system-config-
programs and basic system status checks.  I have looked in the messages
log but don't see anything that points to a bad shutdown.