Rawhide kernel kernel-2.6.25-0.200.rc8.git3.fc9.i686 fails to boot - FOUND REASON

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Apr 7 20:57:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 20:54 +0000, Mike wrote:
> OK I tried .201 and also pulled .204 from koji - all these won't boot but
> I have discovered where all these kernels hang.
>
> By clicking to show details during the graphical boot these kernels all
> hang starting wpa_supplicant - I have a usb wireless adapter using the
> rt73usb module. Up to kernel .185 the system boots fine with this adapter
> plugged in. All kernels after that hang at wpa_supplicant set to start
> as a daemon service.
>
> By booting without the usb wireless adapter plugged in the boot continues
> normally (but with no wireless networking)

Uh, the kernel has already booted by that point, you're looking at the
Fedora init process, after kernel is up.  The kernels boot, your init
process is what fails.

Unless you're using wpa_supplicant manually, the service doesn't need to
run.  Disable it, as NetworkManager will use it on demand.

--
Jesse Keating