Using encrypted disks

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 08:46:11 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> I took the default offered because I could
> not see how to make it do what I wanted.  I hate the lack of control, and it
> just isn't intuitive to find how to control the partitioning.  For that
> matter, I don't like LVM either.  I see no advantage to me.  The addition of
> encrypting as an option does seem good.  I wonder if it is possible to
> install and encrypt on a traditional partitioning scheme?

Yes, I do not use LVM, but I do have encrypted partitions.  You can encrypt each
one separately, but you'll be asked for the passphrase once for each partition
that is encrypted.

When you get to the partitioning tool, pulldown the menu above the table showing
your disks, and select (custom layout).  Then click next.  Alternatively you can
check the 'review layout' button and then be able to change/delete the default
setup.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29