Keyboard problems

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 09:36:39 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> Rawhide insists that I use a US keyboard.  I'm forever hunting for the
> whereabouts of non-alphanumeric keys and it's driving me mad.
>
> System-config-keyboard knows that I want a UK keyboard.  However, it reports

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/share/system-config-keyboard/keyboard_gui.py", line 226, in
> _okClicked
>     return self.apply(None, False)
>   File "/usr/share/system-config-keyboard/keyboard_gui.py", line 117, in apply
>     keyboardBackend.modifyXconfig(fullname, layout, model, variant, options)
>   File "/usr/share/system-config-keyboard/keyboard_backend.py", line 34, in
> modifyXconfig
>     keyboard = xf86config.getCoreKeyboard(xconfig)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/xf86config.py", line 177, in
> getCoreKeyboard
>     raise XF86SectionMissing("No CoreKeyboard InputDevice found in the
> layout")
> xf86config.XF86SectionMissing
>
> I tried putting in a keyboard section, but Xorg.conf seems to be dynamically
> produced these days, so re-starting X just puts me back with the default US
> keyboard.  Is there nothing that can be done about this?

1. file a bug (check if someone did), this should not be happening to
system-config-keyboard.

2. define the input section in xorg.conf for the workaround.  The xorg.conf is
not dynamically generated, it is minimally configured.  That means any input
devices can be added when X starts, but don't have to be in the config.  If you
define them, it will honor your config.

Try:
Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "single head configuration"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us+inet"
EndSection

With the correct change for XkbLayout, I'm not sure what that is.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29